Monday, April 6, 2009

Dracula Brides!

So I am in charge of costumes for my school's performance of Dracula. Luckily, I get to rent a lot of costumes. Yay! No making bustles! (Although I want to in the near future, just not for school. Plus, if I make a bustle, I want to keep it!) However, I will be making all of the brides' costumes.
Traditionally, in Dracula, you have 3 brides. Well, we decided that having 5 brides would be more fun. It's cool with me. I don't care. I decided to have each of the brides be from a different ancient culture.


The first bride, who is the head bride, is more traditional:

(Please excuse the drawing, I'm not an artist. Well at least not with a pencil. And yes I know, lined paper, blech. Oh well. I don't care.)


I want everything to be flowy with everyone, but this one, I want to be a little more structured. For the middle part of the bodice, I have this weird white pre-ruched fabric I'm going to use. The bodice is going to be made of a more structured material. The skirt is going to be a mermaid with a slit in the middle that goes to her knees. The sleeves will be chiffon or organza or something like that. This one is in the classic white.


The next bride is Aztec:


She has a top with a swirly figure-eight design with straps that will be twisted. The skirt is sort of like a traditional loincloth but the top band is going to be thick and come down around mid-thigh. She's going to have the main front and back flap but will also have strips of fabric down the sides. Her color is gold.

Then there is Greek:

She has a boat neck with poofy-slit sleeves. It's one whole dress, but around the middle, it's going to be sheer. There's going to be a rope wrapped around the middle in the traditional greek style and a middle slit or side slit. I haven't decided. She also has a low scooped back. Her color is Blue.
Next is Indian (as in India, not Native American):


First off, know those wrap skirts that they sell in those kiosks at the mall during the summer? The one's where you can tie them in all different ways? I'm going to make one of those. (By the way, I actually broke down and bought one and I love it! Every gal needs one!) Then I'm going to make a traditional top, called a choli. Then, and here's where it gets tricky. I'm going to take a giant piece of fabric and pleat part of it. Just enough to stretch from her wait to her shoulder. I'll have snaps or something to keep it in place. Then it will come down and one corner will attach to her finger or wrist. On the other arm, there are armbands with strips of fabric hanging from them. This one's pink.
And lastly, Egyptian:


Right, so I'm going to create a basic sheath dress with slits on both sides up about to the knee or mid-thigh. There will be a band under the bust to gather the fabric. Then I'm going to make a type of cape thingy that comes down the front a little bit. Does that make sense? Oh well. The bottom corners will attach to her fingers. This one's purple.
So there you go! Those are my ideas. Oh, and another thing, all the dresses are going to be made out of sheer material (don't worry, all the necessary areas will be covered. I do plan on doing linings.). Also, the colors are not going to be bright. They are going to be washed out and very light. Kind of like it's a white with a hint of color.

No comments:

Post a Comment