Sunday, April 12, 2009

Research for Dracula

Right-o. So I have not done anything construction-wise with costumes. However I have done a lot of research. I went and got a butt load of books from the library about men's costumes. It is impossible to find out what kind of tie men wore in the year 1885 on the internet. Or at least I couldn't find it. I also went to Taylorsville High School and looked at costumes that I may be renting so that I could get ideas on what exactly I want. Then I went to DI where I found a perfect velvet robe for Mina. It was 6 bucks and plan on buying it from the director when the show is over. I'll post a picture later.

Other exciting news is I'm starting to decide on colors. You have to understand though, this is what I want, not necessarily what I'll end up with. I have a very limited budget. (Donations are always welcome!)

Mina-Blue! I found a gorgeous light blue, almost periwinkle, skirt. I'm going to construct a darker blue overskirt with a matching bodice for Mina's first dress. Her second dress, which will be worn in Act II will be navy. Haven't gotten much farther than that.

Lucy-Yellow and Orange! I want her to be over the top. She's going to have bows and ruffles all over the place. I found an orange underskirt and will construct a yellow bodice and overskirt. She only gets one bustle dress. The rest of the time she will be in a nightgown and then her burial dress. (Which I need to do research on what women were burried in during the victorian age.)

Renfield-Green! In this production, our Renfield is played by a woman and we are keeping her a woman. In the beginning and the end she will be in a forest green gown. Every other time (when she's the mental patient) she will be in a mint green hospital gown.

For the men, well, I haven't exactly decided yet. If I can't get green for Renfield, then Seward will be in green. And I know that I want Van Helsing to be more from mid-Victorian. I want him to be out of style.

Well, that's all that I have. Didn't get too much done during Spring Break, I was up in Logan playing with friends.


P.S. The director is going to have a conniption when he hears about this. He wanted Mina in dark greens, browns, you know, earth colors. But he wants everybody in greens, and browns. But the deal was, he gets free reign on Dracula's costumes if I get free reign on everybody elses costumes. So put that in your pipe and smoke it Jonathan!!! You don't get everything you want!!! (Insert evil laugh here.)

1 comment:

  1. i hope you post pictures when you get the costumes made....they sound like they are going to be beautiful

    ReplyDelete